Dr. Churney was born in Louisville, KY. He attended Tulane University and earned his undergrad degree from the University of Kentucky in 1979. He received his dental degree from the University of Louisville in 1983 and he received a specialty degree in periodontics at the University of Florida in 1987.
Dr. Churney had a private practice in Louisville from 1983-1985 and has practiced dentistry in Clearwater since 1987.
Dr. Churney is a the President of the Florida Association of Periodontist as well as past president of the Upper Pinellas County Dental Association and the West Coast District Dental Association. For leisure, he enjoys spending time with his wife Ericka, golfing, boating, traveling and going to the beach
Involved with organized dentistry as a member of the American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, West Coast District Dental Association, Upper Pinellas Dental Association.
Held offices of the UPCDA from 1998 culminating with Presidency in 2003. Held offices of the West Coast District Dental Association from 2006 culminating with the presidency in 2010. Alternate Delegate and Delegate representing the UPCDA in the House of Delegates of the Florida Dental Association since 1998.
Ethics chair for the West Coast District Dental Association representing them as a member of the Council on Ethics, ByLaws, Judicial Affairs for the FDA. He is on the Board of Trustees of the AAP, and is a past Trustee of the FDA.
- Selected as a Fellow of American College of Dentists in 2007
- Selected as a Fellow into the Pierre Fauchard Society 2009
- Ethics Chair and Founding member of 13 Ugly Men Foundation a philanthropic organization
- Board member Beach Art Center, Indian Rocks Beach Florida, 2010-2011
- Board member Gulf Coast Dental Outreach up to 2015
- Member Pinnacle Study Club, a branch of the Seattle Study Club, Palm Harbor FL
- Adjunct Faculty University of Florida College of Dentistry- St Petersburg branch
- Member of American Equilibration Society
- Fellow of International College of Dentists