Altered Eruption / "Gummy Smile" Procedure. Patients sometimes have excessive gum area covering the teeth, which leads to the appearance that the teeth are short.
This condition is often referred to as a "gummy smile". With this procedure, Dr. Churney is able to position tissue to create a more pleasing length and esthetic outcome.
As teeth erupt, the tissue usually pulls back to a level at the enamel and root surface contact point on the tooth. In many cases the tissue covers the enamel, which leads to the short appearance. By and by placing tissue at this line the overall appearance of the smile improves.
- More pleasing esthetic smile
- Usually minimal discomfort
- Extremely happy patient with more balanced and natural smile
What to Expect
- Initial exam
- Surgical procedure a second appointment
- Post-operative visits are usually at 1 week, 3 weeks and 8 week intervals
- Local anesthetic
- This is an out-patient procedure